1. Job Purpose
To support Cambridge University Press India's sales & business development initiatives within the Academic & Research division for Eastern Region including North-East and Bangladesh
Driving sales and revenue generation of Academic & Research's product portfolio comprising of Print Books, e-Journals and eBooks as well as other solutions within an assigned territory of East India
Accurate Forecast and Projections – Sales & Collections. Monitoring the same against annual budgets and keep a track of variance (if any)
Execution of sales plan – including product promotions, coverage and customer engagement in alignment with the Cambridge India
Support sales function effectively and ensuring sales capability building for the vertical in India
Financial: To achieve print budget of 30 million INR with an overall GM 1 of 55%. To achieve GBP 250k for Journals and USD 250k for e-Books
Staff: 2 to 3 Direct Reportees
Other: 50-75 Channel partners and over 100 institutions
3. Principal Accountabilities
• Achieve budgeted results within operating expenditure limits
• Increase sales by identifying and pursuing new opportunities as well as developing existing business in specified territories
• Ensure smooth renewals and a customer retention of 90%
• Regularly interacting and interfacing with prospective as well as existing customers for product pitching, promotions, adoption and training.
• Understanding customer needs and providing customised solutions with a strategic account management approach
• Develop and manage a strong sales pipeline with regular updating and monitoring on Salesforce.com
• Provide accurate monthly sales forecasts and submit reports to the Sr. Manager and Business Head – Academic
• Build and maintain relationship with key accounts in the region. Create and execute sales promotional plan including organising book exhibitions
• Keep track of the institutional funds and budget, and potential sales opportunities along with an eye on competition.
• Strengthen relationships with distributors and channel partners and maintain sustainable business
• Work closely with Sr. Manager – Marketing and Business Development and Marketing team for market development, driving customer engagement and enhancing the usage.
• Ensure payment collection from assigned channel partners and institutes
• Travel through the region carrying out customer visits as required in support of sales team members
• Acquiring and maintain thorough knowledge of Press products and their marketability through active participation at conferences & book exhibitions
• Work with Sales Operations, Customer Services and Credit Management to ensure timely follow-up of orders and queries
To carry out any other duties which may be reasonably expected of you by your immediate manager or a senior director.
Press Policies and Procedures
To abide by all Press policies and procedures, as detailed in your contract of employment and the Staff Handbook, e.g. Code of ethics, anti-bribery and corruption, Health and Safety, e-mail and Internet use and standards of behaviour.
(a) Operating Environment: Sales-driven Environment
Geographically, Central Universities, State Universities, Deemed & Private Universities, Research Institutions, Central / State Libraries and Medical Colleges
(b) Framework & Boundaries: Sales, Distributors, Marketing, ABC, Internal & External Audit, Operations, IT Governance, Ensuring Product Development at par with global standards, Sales distribution through the distributor with highest ethical standards and governance. Example – structured term sheets & discount structure. Working with enabling functions such as customer service team.
Effective promotions and marketing while following CUP governance structure and standards.
Working with enambling services such as customer service etc
(a) Subordinates: Frequent communication with reporting manager & immediate reportees if any.
Periodic catch up sessions with direct reportees if any for support, motivation and conflict/issue resolutions.
(b) Superior(s): Business Head and Sr. Manager
(c) Other Contacts:
Within the company - Frequent and close interactions with Business Head, Sr. Manager – Marketing & Business Development, Head of Academic Publishing and Sales Operations for approvals and resolving any issues effecting sales and relationships with the customers/channel partners. Operations team and ELT and Education teams
Outside the company - Meeting distributors, authors, industry peers and other stakeholders periodically.
6. Knowledge and Experience
• Must have a minimum of 10+ years of experience in B2B Sales / Digital Sales / Institutional Sales. Sales experience of Academic & Higher Education Publishing preferred
• Must have managed annual sales budgets and collections.
• Preferred: Sales management experience in Academic & Research Market
• Experience of working in a matrix organization will be an advantage.
• Experience in managing and leading small sales team.
• A track record of fueling business growth will be an added advantage
• Sound business acumen, problem solving abilities and negotiation skills
• Positive thinker, go-getter attitude and can work on deadlines